StyleDiscussions.com
Sign in to follow this  
Penelope Lewis

How to wear empire waist dress without looking pregnant?

So, I have a problem. No matter which empire waist dress I try on, it automatically makes me look pregnant. Maybe you know some essential styling tips for empire waist dresses that won't make me look pregnant? Thanks!

• Upvote 1

This year we having empire waist dresses back on the fashion track, that's why it's no wonder why lots of women want to try these cute frock on. Yes, the main problem is that many ladies have problems while wearing these clothes, as they look like they're pregnant. To avoid this, you will need to look for styles made of drapey loose fabrics, like cotton jersey, silk charmeuse. Make sure it doesn't add extra weight under your bust, plus the tightest part of the top should cinch just below your bustline. Believe me, too-high waist will make your breasts look squished, while a too low waist will make an illusion of droopiness. The following dresses styles look better in darker shades. Choose either long sleeved or 3/4 sleeve versions, as they look more flattering.

• Upvote 1

Empire waist dresses with no sleeves or with no fabric on your arms will certainly make you look pregnant. If you already bought yourself a sleeveless dress, then I recommend to layer it over a thin long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirt or blouse. The loose-fit silhouette of such frock should be balanced with form-fitted bottoms, like sexy panties, pencil skirt or skinny jeans. As you all know, balance is the key when it comes to dresses, that's why I highly recommend to choose an empire waist dress with a hemline that falls mid-knee or 2 inches below knee, so you avoid looking heavy in your waist area. Plus, you will need a good supportive bra. This is very crucial while wearing such dresses. Another tip is to keep attention to your waistline: it should not hit exactly under bustline. Plus, you will look much slimmer if you will choose a V-neck wrap empire waist dress.

• Upvote 1