Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie White

What kind of shirt do you wear under a cardigan?

I guess everything depends on the fit and overall appearance of your cardigan. There are the ones that are made for office and formal events, as well as the ones that are great for layering casual looks. If it's fitted and tight, I recommend to choose collared shirt, so you look put together and professional. A loose-fitted version in slouchy fit or the one made of wool is ideal for creating relaxed combinations. For instance, long styles can be styled with roomy untucked button-down shirts. I gathered various polyvore sets to show you both long and short lengths that can be thrown over solid and patterned shirts. I see lots of girls wearing open cardigans to create vertical line down the front of body, creating a streamlined look. If you want to keep things look more casual, try on a simple t-shirt under your favorite cardigan. Anyway, have a look at some of the best ways how to wear cardigan with shirts: 

what shirts to wear under cardigan 1.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 2.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 3.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 4.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 5.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 6.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 7.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 8.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 9.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 10.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 11.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 12.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 13.jpg

what shirts to wear under cardigan 14.jpg

Just make sure your shirt is not too oversized for layering under cardigan. In other words saying, cardigan is an extremely versatile piece of clothing that can be worn in dozens ways. Of course, there are loose-fitted and slim versions, but women tend to wear simple tees, classic button-down shirts, blouses and tunics under cardigans. Just make sure your cardigan is loose-fitted if you want to wear shirt untucked, otherwise, slim cardigans can make an ugly look if you style them with untucked shirts (of course, if you leave slim cardigan unbuttoned, then it can be okay). I prefer to keep my silhouette relaxed, but I know women who wear cardigans closed for waist definition. I like to wear V-neck cardigans atop solid color button-up shirts.