Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie White

Can your shirt be longer than your jacket?

I want to know if it's okay to wear shirt that is longer than your jacket? Please let me know what your thoughts are on this look? Is it acceptable or not? How doable is the untucked shirt with a jacket? Thanks!

• Upvote 2

I have a high natural waist, that's why long shirts peaking out of jackets look right on me. That's why ladies with very long legs and short torso better go for untucked shirts, so their torsos don't look short. Of course, if the shirt hits too much below the hip, then I guess it looks cheap. If you want to imitate a suit like outfit, then you better avoid longer shirt under your jacket. This look also depends on the shape of the woman. If you are more overweight, then it might create a bulky appearance. I like pairing longer shirts with blazers, jackets and structured cardigans. The acceptance of this look depends on the proportion of untucked shirt. I think this kinda look is great for business casual office style. 

• Upvote 2

I think this look depends on details and woman's body shape, that's why before wearing it, you better get yourself into dressing room and see how things actually look. As for me, I am a busty woman and I find it difficult to tuck in shirts, that's why I wear ruffled blouses untucked and cover them with cropped blazers. I also have a lace top with scalloped edges at the bottom hem that I think looks silly for tucking it in. I just let it peak out below my blazer. If you want to know about the acceptance of this look for office, then it depends on your business environment. In my company we are not allowed to look conservative. One thing, cropped blazers might be a perfect solution for untucked and longer shirts. 

• Upvote 2