Sign in to follow this  
Sophia Wilkins

What to wear to a work Christmas party?

Hi everyone! I know it's not Winter right now, but I want to know what to wear to a work Christmas party? I work in a medium size company (65 employees). This year we're having a Christmas party in the office. What clothes should I wear to look more stylish and less overwhelmed? Please advice!

XpDBnrs.gif

• Upvote 1

I completely understand you! This is a great official event to dress up for, but I know how hard it can be to decide on what to wear and how formal you are supposed to be. You don't want to appear as you are dressed for another Monday look, but you don't want to be over the top. If your party takes place during the day, you can choose less formal look, but if you are invited to an evening party, then you should choose something dressy. This celebration is elegant. The Office TV series is not a good example! ;) So, if the party takes place during the day: silk blouse, beautiful fitted blazer or cardigan with skirt or trousers in thick fabric can look awesome on you. You can also add some jewelry, but keep in mind that certain dress code rules still remain, that's why avoid deep necklines, sheer blouses, cut-outs and short skirts or dresses. No revealing clothes!!! Star away from casual outfits, forget about sneakers, jeans and animal print. Keep your hair clean and tidy. If the party takes place during evening, I recommend to choose jewel tone dresses in pencil fit. Sure, you can try on lace frocks, but remember about dress code, no revealing areas! The shape of your dress or suit has to be classic, but you can go for modern styles. Here are some ideas for you:

These outfits are meant for casual parties:

possible christmas party looks.jpg

The following looks are great for evening celebration: 

Christmas-office-looks.jpg

christmas party at work.jpg

Dressy-Christmas-Morning-Outfit.jpg

how to dress for office christmas party.jpg

office_party2.jpg

Edited by Sophie Larsen

Avoid ugly Christmas sweaters, unless your boss asks everyone to come in this knitwear to make a casual party. No jingle bells accessories, no Santa Claus costumes, no low-cut, skin-tight cocktail dresses, no sheer clothes and mini length skirts or dresses. The color palette has to be classy, choose either dark color palette or pastel hues. Avoid too bright and neon colors. I've got a little Polyvore sets collection for you, hope these ideas will inspire you. 

what to wear to work christmas party 1.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 2.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 3.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 4.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 5.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 6.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 7.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 8.jpg

what to wear to work christmas party 9.jpg

• Upvote 1

There are some little tips and ideas you can use to create a perfect office Christmas party. Of course, you better stay away from deep cleavage tops and maxi dresses. Regardless how old you are, 20 or 60, you supposed to dress according your shape, not your age. You have to take into account cold weather, so you better wear clothes according to weather cast. So, if it's cold outside, you can try on an elegant looking draping coat, good pair of shoes, dark colors as it will only make you look slimmer, keep on experimenting with dressy separates. You have to dress according your social gathering dress code. I highly recommend to walk the fine line between dressy/ festive and professional. Best way is to find something ideal that goes from day-to-night, from desk to party.