Sign in to follow this  
Elizabeth Thompson

Do plaids and stripes go together?

Hi everyone! I was wondering do plaids and stripes go together? I want to use both patterns in my outfit, but don't know if they will look good together. Please, tell me, if they are okay to mix and if yes, what combinations you can advice me. Will this pattern mix look nice at the office? Thank you!

• Upvote 1

I think it's okay to wear these two prints together. There is one very important rule: match colors, not prints. That's why, I think there is nothing wrong with plaids and stripes. If you try them on and they look good together, then why don't you wear it? I personally always match black with white and it really looks awesome on me. Another thing is the print by itself, the more simpler they both are, the easier they can be mixed together. I think stripes can be matched with almost any print. The black and white goes with everything. It's simple and I would even say- neutral looking. I love mixing it with florals, animal spots and complicated patterns. So, yes, you can mix them!

• Upvote 1

It's a good question! There are always debates whether its okay or not to pair stripes with plaids. My opinion is following: when I was a young girl, someone told me its not acceptable to wear two patterns together. Nowadays, fashion says YES to mixing different prints. It's now officially social acceptable. I personally think it's all individual. Some ladies look cool in such combinations and others appear weird and misplaced. I am not a fashion expert, but I would suggest you to give this look a try. In general mixing patterns together is quite tricky, but you just need to be sure two patterns won't kill your personality and you will disappear in a such combo. Be careful when mixing two patterns together. I've got pretty polyvore sets for you! Hope these ideas will make you do this print combination correctly.

do plaids and stripes go together 1.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 2.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 3.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 4.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 5.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 6.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 7.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 8.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 9.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 10.jpg

do plaids and stripes go together 11.jpg

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong, but I personally think that not all stripes and plaids go together. If you want to look harmonized and stylish, then you better keep other colors to a minimum, otherwise you will look sloppy. If you are beginner to such combinaton, then you better start from adding an accessory that is printed either in stripes or plaids. This can make you look less vibrant. One of your prints should be louds and bright, this will make your outfit stand out. Make sure plaids and strips are plus minus the same size. Just to remind you: bigger prints will make you look larger. 

• Upvote 1

Depends on what color both prints come. If one is neutral and other one is bright, then it's okay  if both are neutral its okay. If both are bright, better skip it.

Yes, it's possible to mix these two prints together. All you need to know is several tips and ideas to make things work right. You can wear two patterns together as long as one of them is much more subtle than the other one. You should match colors, this will look great together. It's very important to choose simpler graphic prints, that's why plaids and stripes look ideal. And one more thing: break up the printed look with solid garments.